WordsThaw Prize for Victoria Writers (Extended Deadline: January 25)
To celebrate the WordsThaw Writers Festival in 2017, The Malahat Review is pleased to announce the first-annual WordsThaw Prize. An exciting showcase of emerging talent in Greater Victoria, this contest will award a cash prize of $500 each in two categories: Poetry and Micro Text (either short fiction or creative nonfiction). The entry fee includes a full WordsThaw pass and a one-year subscription to The Malahat Review, starting with “Indigenous Perspectives,” the Malahat’s Winter 2016 issue. The winners will be published on the Malahat’s WordsThaw website.
Judge: Janet Rogers
- Eligible entrants include:
- UVic students and alumni.
- Residents of the Capital Regional District (if you’re unsure, please confirm you live in the CRD by consulting its residency criteria)
- All CRD residents who have yet to publish creative work in book form (excluding self-published books).
- Poetry (one poem): maximum length of 30 lines, including stanza breaks.
- Micro Text (fiction or creative nonfiction; one piece): maximum length of 400 words.
- Entry fee (poem or micro text): $20. You are only allowed to enter poetry or micro text, not both. Only one submission will be accepted in either genre.
- Entrants receive a full pass to WordsThaw (excluding the March 20, 2017 Master Class), plus a one-year print subscription to The Malahat Review for themselves or a friend. Digital subscriptions or digital/print bundle subscriptions are not available through this contest.
- Entrants may only submit once.
- Entries already published, accepted, or submitted elsewhere are ineligible.
- Entrants’ anonymity is preserved throughout the judging. Contact information (including an email address) must not appear on the submission, but on a separate page, along with the entry’s title (see below).
- Only shortlisted authors and winners will be notified about the judge’s decisions.
- A shortlist of finalists will be announced on March 1, 2017.
- The winners will be announced at a reading of the shortlisted authors on March 9, 2017, at the downtown branch of the Greater Victoria Public Library.
- Shortlisted authors will each review a $25 gift certificate to Munro’s, courtesy of the Greater Victoria Public Library.
- The winner in each category will each receive a prize of $500; their winning entries will be published in the Martlet, the University of Victoria’s student newspaper.
- Send entries as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Acceptable file formats: Word (.doc and .docx) or PDF
- No entries will be accepted by regular mail.
- The subject line must contain the entrant's full name, genre(s), and method of payment. e.g., "Jane Tucker, micro fiction, credit online," "John Smith, poetry, cheque" or "Jane Doe, micro creative nonfiction, credit mail-in."
- Send two separate documents: 1) the entry itself, and 2) the cover sheet
- It is very important you do not include your name in the poem / micro text entry itself! No names in the file title, the header, or the footer.
Cover sheet, sent as a separate attached file
, should include:
- Entrant's full name
- Genre of entry
- Title of entry prose
- Word count (400 max.) for micro stories
- Line count (30 max.) for poems
- Entrant's mailing address
- Entrant's email address
- Method of payment (see How to Pay below)
- Indicate whether you wish to be added to our electronic mailing list to receive news on contest calls for entries, prize winners, events, and literary updates in our monthly newsletter, Malahat lite
How to Pay
The deadline has now passed for this contest.