Saturday, February 22, 2014, 12:00 p.m. to 1:15 p.m.
Human and Social Development Building, University of Victoria
Brief Encounters: Why Not Book a Literary Tune-Up?
Between the morning and afternoon panel discussions at #WordsThaw 2014, you may sign up for a 15-minute one-on-one critique with one of eight Victoria writers. Each of these fine practitioners of the literary arts can help you fine-tune a poem, a fiction or nonfiction excerpt, or a children’s literature or young-adult-fiction excerpt.
Brief Encounters is included in the cost of your #WordsThaw 2014 pass.
There are only 32 Brief Encounters sessions available, so register for #WordsThaw 2014 early to guarantee that one of them is yours. Contemplate having a Brief Encounters session with:
Dede Crane Fiction, Children’s Literature, Young Adult Fiction NO SESSIONS AVAILABLE
JoAnn Dionne Creative Nonfiction NO SESSIONS AVAILABLE
Catherine Greenwood Poetry NO SESSIONS AVAILABLE
Matthew Hooton Fiction, Creative Nonfiction NO SESSIONS AVAILABLE Steve Noyes Poetry NO SESSIONS AVAILABLE Aaron Shepard Fiction NO SESSIONS AVAILABLE Robin Stevenson Children’s Literature, Young Adult Fiction NO SESSIONS AVAILABLE Christine Walde Poetry, Children’s Literature, Young Adult Fiction NO SESSIONS AVAILABLE
How to sign up for Brief Encounters and how it works:
- Each Brief Encounters writer is available for up to four 15-minute sessions.
- Each Brief Encounters writer is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Once you have purchased your #WordsThaw 2014 pass, send an email to The Malahat Review to reserve a session, with “Brief Encounters” in the subject line.
- In the body of the email, indicate which writer you’d like to work with; if he or she consults in more than one genre, indicate which one you like your session to focus on.
- If the Brief Encounters writer you request is fully booked by the time you sign up, we will contact you about working with one of the other writers consulting in your chosen genre.
- We will confirm your assignment (author and time) by email.
- After you have received confirmation, you must email the work you wish to discuss with your Brief Encounter to email@example.com
- Poetry: you may submit one poem that is one page long.
- Prose: for all non-poetry genres, you may send an excerpt of 750 words long.
Please note: Each #WordsThaw 2014 registrant is allowed only one Brief Encounter.