Have an interest in helping out at one of Canada’s most celebrated literary magazines?
The Malahat Review welcomes volunteers all year round. You can be a student from the University of Victoria or a new retiree who’s finally got the time to devote. Everyone with a passion for writing is welcome.
What do we need help with?
- Writing entries about back issues for the Our Back Pages project
- Interviewing writers for our monthly e-newsletter, Malahat lite
- Screening contest entries (for experienced readers only)
- Staffing our annual literary symposium, WordsThaw
- Proofing our quarterly issues
- Proposing a task you’re passionate about (we’ll see if it needs doing)
What are the benefits?
- Some volunteer work, such as writing back issue blurbs and interviewing for Malahat lite, pay $50 honorariums (you could say they are no longer 'volunteer' tasks!)
- Free entry to all Malahat ticketed events
- Receipt of Malahat lite every month by email
- Your name on our email-alerts list so you hear the latest Malahat news first
- Getting to know and work with Malahat’s accomplished staff, board members, and contributors
- An inside view of the workings of an iconic Canadian literary magazine
How do you sign up?
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or call us at 250-721-8524
- Tell us about yourself and what you’re interested in doing
- We’ll set a time for you to come in to meet us
A good magazine needs not only great writers and attentive readers, but also passionate doers. We look forward to hearing from you!