2015 Long Poem Prize
The Malahat Review, Canada’s premier literary magazine, invites entries from Canadian, American, and overseas authors for the Long Poem Prize. Two awards of $1,000 CAD each are given. Poets contributing to The Malahat Review have also won or been nominated for National Magazine Awards for Poetry and the Pushcart Prize. The Long Poem Prize is offered every second year, alternating with the Novella Prize.
The deadline for the 2015 Long Poem Prize is February 1, 2015.
Read about our 2013 winners.
- A single poem or cycle of poems that is between 10 to 20 pages long. A page is up to 36 lines (or less), including breaks between stanzas. In a cycle of poems, each poem must begin on a new page. In a multi-part poem, it is up to the author whether or not each section begins on a new page. **If you have any questions or require further information about the 36-line rule, please read this.
- No restrictions as to subject matter or aesthetic approach apply.
- Entry fee required:
- $35 CAD for Canadian entries
- $40 US for American entries
- $45 US for entries from Mexico and outside North America
- Entrants receive a one-year subscription to The Malahat Review for themselves or a friend.
- Entries already published, accepted, or submitted elsewhere are ineligible.
- Previous publication is considered to be any appearance in print or online, including on or in a newspaper, newsletter, magazine, anthology, chapbook, book, website, electronic magazine, personal blog, Twitter, or Facebook. Please note that even if the print run or circulation of the print publication where the work has previously appeared is small, this is still considered previous publication. No work that has been excerpted elsewhere is eligible for submission; nor is a work that has been revised since its original publication.
- Entrants’ anonymity is preserved throughout the judging. Contact information (including an email address) should not appear on the submission, but along with the title on an enclosed separate page.
- Please note that entrants who submit more than one long poem to the contest in the same year may win only one of the two prizes, nor may they have more than one entry on the shortlist. The identity of multiple-entry entrants will nevertheless remain blind to the screeners and final judges.
- No submissions will be accepted by email.
- No entries will be returned.
- Entrants will not be notified by separately by letter about the judges’ decisions even if a SASE is included for this purpose.
- Winners and finalists will be notified via email.
- Winners will be announced on the Malahat web site and facebook page in April 2015, with the publication of only the winning entries in The Malahat Review’s Summer 2015 issue.
- Both winners will be interviewed. Interviews will be published in the magazine's electronic newsletter, Malahat lite and on our website in June 2015.
- Send entries and enquiries to:
The Malahat Review
University of Victoria
P.O. Box 1700
Victoria, B.C. V8W 2Y2
Contest Entry Fees
- All entries must be mailed. See guidelines.
- You can pay online or mail your payment with your entry.
- Please enclose your receipt with your contest entry so we can identify your online payment.
Pay by Mail
- By Cheque or Money Order: Enclose a cheque or money order, made out to The Malahat Review, in Canadian or US funds with your entry.
- By Credit Card: Complete our Credit Card Payment Form and enclose it with your entry.
Previous Long Poem Prize Winners
- Claire Caldwell
- Kim Trainor
- matt robinson
- Marion Quednau (won Gold at the 33rd Annual National Magazine Awards)
- Aurian Haller
- Harold Rhenisch
- Margo Button (won Gold at the 30th Annual National Magazine Awards)
- Harold Rhenisch (earned Honourable Mention at the 30th Annual National Magazine Awards)
- Roseanne S. Carrara
- Ann Fisher-Wirth
- Sylvia Legris
- Alice Major
- Brian Bartlett
- Stephanie Bolster
- Barbara Nickel
- Esta Spalding
- Marilyn Bowering
- Rhea Tregebov
- Sue Wheeler
- Pain Not Bread
- Matthew Remski
- Mia Anderson (won gold at the 1992 National Magazine Awards)
- D’Arcy Randall
- Marjorie Stelmach
- Brian Bartlett
- Crispin Elsted
- Janice Kulyk Keefer
- Jennifer Mitton
- Elisabeth Harvor
- Marjorie Stelmach
- Stephan Torre
- Angela Ball
- Mary di Michele
- Douglas Burnett Smith